Have you had enough bad news yet? Here is some good news: If your income is affected already by the coronavirus, you are not out of options. These times sure aren’t easy. You may have been hit harder, faster, and need to bridge the income gap right now. Or you have been looking to transition careers for a while, and now your job is looking shaky. Whatever the case, your adaptability during this time matters. So does your engagement. Both will determine who will thrive and not just barely survive job-wise.
I have considered the options for these two scenarios:
Scenario 1: You need to fill an income gap right away.
Scenario 2: You want to pivot.
Let’s take a look.
1. Bridge An Immediate Income Gap
Coronavirus Jobs? Believe it or not, some organizations need massive amounts of workers right now, because this crisis creates demand they cannot handle without extra hands. If you need immediate income, follow the hashtag #nowhiring on LinkedIn.
Another way to find work right now is by looking for work you can do from home as long as you have a robust phone connection and high-speed internet.
Take a look at Flexjobs — this page specializes in listing remote jobs at reputable companies (no shady business here). Update on June 29: The promo code FOURTH will get you a subscription at 30%-50% off and is valid between 7/3 and 7/8.
We Work Remotely is a large community of remote workers that partners with large companies and boasts about being the #1 destination for “incredible remote jobs.” Give it a shot. You may land a job you didn’t even imagine before and finally land that permanent WFH (working-from-home) position you’ve always wanted.
2. Plan To Pivot
If you have a job, but we’re looking to make a change and experience a temporary slow down at work, then use the time wisely! “Netflix and chill” won’t get you the career you want.
Now is not the time to put your head in the sand. Today is prime time to think ahead. Once the curve flattens, you are ready to pivot if you prepare now:
If you already know where you want to be, you could respond by:
Taking classes online:
Many courses are available at a reduced price or even free:
- Take a look at these filtered 4 to 5-star rated courses on Udemy that are entirely free.
- Join LinkedIn Premium (currently free for the first month) and get all of the courses on LinkedIn learning included with it! Some of these classes give you credits toward popular certifications, such as a PMP (Project Management Professional).
- Whizlabs has reduced their courses by 50% at the time of writing this article.
Get/Renew Your Certifications
PMP or Six Sigma A Green Belt, anyone? Now is the time to fill up your PDUs (professional development units, or in other words, points toward the renewal of your certification).
Certifications earn you subject-matter expertise that is tailored to the specific demand in your industry or profession. Certifications allow you to improve your chances of getting hired, promoted, and increasing your income. Here are some popular certifications:
- 15 Top Paying IT Certifications in 2020
- Top 10 Blockchain Certifications to Boost Your Career
- Top 13 project management certifications for 2020
- Up-skill in a few days with these short Harvard programs
- Top 20 Content Marketing Online Courses and Certifications to Enroll in 2020
- 13 BEST DIGITAL MARKETING CERTIFICATIONS
- SHRM Certification for HR Professionals
- Top 10 Accounting Certifications, Courses, Classes & Trainings Online in 2020
- The Top 18 Certifications for Event Professionals
- Top 12 Financial Certifications
- 9 Best LinkedIn Training Courses for Marketing, Sales & Branding 
Get future-ready skills
Read up on the trends in your profession or industry. There have been multiple reports over the past few years stating that there is a widening skill-gap. Employers have a hard time finding employees who have what they need to take their companies into a fast-changing future. Here’s some inspiration for you:
- Everything you need to know about the Fourth Industrial Revolution
- Jobs of Tomorrow: Mapping Opportunity in the New Economy
Offer Your Services As A Freelancer Online
If your work is deliverable online, consider joining a freelancer platform. These platforms focus on bringing supply and demand together by helping entrepreneurs and companies find freelancers for jobs they want to outsource. Some of these cases lead to permanent hiring. My neighbor worked as a full-time freelancer for a multinational firm until they decided to hire him full-time.
Signing up with these platforms doesn’t take long. What takes a bit more time is to create a profile that resonates with your target audience. Set ample time aside to create your product or service portfolio and craft an introduction, set your pricing, determine your approach (clients will often inquire about this), and maybe even hire a helping hand for yourself in areas where you need help.
Here are popular freelance and expert platforms you should consider:
Look Creatively at Opportunities To Pivot
Some careers are up for immediate transition with a bit of creativity and flexibility.
For example, one of my friends has talked about her lifelong dream to become a nurse. She had been taking classes. What she needs is practical experience. Healthcare organizations are looking for volunteers right now to help keep up with the high demand. This demand is your opportunity! For those of you who want to get into healthcare, this provides three wonderful opportunities in one: (1) help others, (2) gather industry experience, and (3) make industry connections at the same time!
Don’t miss the opportunities you have now, or waste them with overindulging on TV. Time never returns — use it wisely.